|bacon-wrapped marinated water chestnuts|
An American friend of my mother's introduced my family to these delicious marinated water chestnuts. It was love at first bite.
Spicy, sweet and sour - these lovely nibbles are perfect for the party season.
Skill level: Easy
1 tbsp soy sauce or ketjap manis
1 tbsp mirin or sherry vinegar
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
salt and pepper
toothpicks, soaked in water(while the water chestnuts are marinating)
- Mix together the soy sauce, mirin and tomato ketchup. Add a pinch of sugar. Check the seasoning, then stir in the garlic and ginger. Add the water chestnuts, ensuring they are well-coated in marinade. Leave for at least 2 hours to absorb flavour.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C / Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the bacon rashers in half.
- Drain the water chestnuts. Roll one (or 2 depending on how thick they are) in a piece of bacon, securing with a toothpick. Brush each with a little of the marinade. Sprinkle over a little palm sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until browned and the bacon is cooked through.