roasted vegetable frittata

roasted vegetable frittata
There is an advert on the telly at the moment for a well-known food brand. It irritates me for a number of reasons, not least because it is twee and patronising. (That the company in question have hash tagged it with #cosy, probably says it all.)

So the scenario (apparently of real people) plays out with drippy girlfriend saying across the dining table “This is a special treat. Don’t expect it too often.” Followed by “Haven’t I done well?” Oh yes, well done you. You managed to reheat a bit of fish and some frozen veg. Splendid.


Insufferably smug boyfriend replies with “If you continue to make meals like this I would probably marry you”. To which drippy girlfriend overwhelmed replies “Ahhh, that’s good.” Boyfriend realising that he might be committing to a lifetime of such stimulating conversation qualifies it with “But would you be willing to make me meals like this every night?” She turns him down, as clearly a future of reheating ready-meals is just all too much.

I am not against these meals, or even this particular product. (Assuming it isn’t choc-full of additives, it is probably quite nice.) What makes me choke is that the world of advertising is trying to sell a concept that reheating ready-meals is “cooking” and that there a people out there dumb enough to believe it.

Oh, just kill me now!

The reason why I mention it is because I don’t always feel like much cooking, but even on those days I can probably break a few eggs or chop some vegetables, fry them up and throw them into a pan. It may not be much, but it is cooking, even if very simple. (Oh god, I hope that doesn't sound smug as well!)

I made this frittata with some leftover roasted vegetables which needed using up. It was cooked in a matter of minutes. But I think what really made it was tangy, green chillies and the handful of cheese.

Serves 4
Skill level: Easy

ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 x red onion, roughly chopped
2 mild green chillies, finely chopped
roasted peppers, cut into strips (preserved peppers are perfectly good)
3 x spring onions, finely sliced (including the green parts)
6 x medium eggs, beaten
a dollop of sour cream or a splash of milk
100g grated cheese, (I used cheddar but feta or gruyere would work well too)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

directions:

  1. Heat one tablespoon of oil in an ovenproof frying pan (20 centimetre diameter), then gently fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 6 minutes until beginning to soften.
  2. Add the green chillies and continue to fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Add the sliced peppers and spring onions. Continue to fry for 2 minutes.
  4. Tip the vegetables into a bowl and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
  5. Wipe the frying pan with a paper kitchen towel.
  6. Pre-heat the grill to high.
  7. Season the beaten eggs. Add the cheese. Fold in the cooked vegetables.
  8. Heat another tablespoon of oil in the frying pan on a medium to high heat. Swirl to ensure the base is coated. (Add a little more oil if necessary.)
  9. Pour the egg and vegetable mixture into the pan, shaking a little to ensure the mixture is even. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until the eggs are beginning to set.
  10. Place the frying pan under the hot grill and cook for a 2 to 3 minutes until the top is a golden brown. (It will puff up a little – which is why this is often known as a soufflĂ© omelette.)
tip:
  • If you don't have an ovenproof frying pan, you can just fry the other side of the frittata. So when it looks as if the eggs have set, place a plate over the top of the frying pan and flip it over. The frittata will slide out onto the plate. Then carefully slide the frittata back into the pan. Cook for a couple more minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I couldn't agree more. I've nuked my fair share of pre-made dinners when I was shift working but how much nicer to throw a few eggs into a pan - quicker too. Your frittata sounds lovely.

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Exactly - I don't have a problem with ready-meals - (M&S used to do a cheese and tomato ravioli that was to die for), but it isn't cooking!

To be honest, when I first heard the advert I thought it might be a joke as they are using Miles Jupp for the voiceover and he created Damien Trench . . . actually maybe it is a joke and the joke is on me!