flying saucer eggs with grilled vine tomatoes, mushrooms and red chard

Healthy breakfast with grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, red chard and flying saucer eggs
I wanted a substantial breakfast to set me up for the weekend. This one does the job and is surprisingly healthy. Of course it would have been even healthier if I had left out the butter, but mushrooms and butter are a marriage made in heaven and I couldn't resist.


Why flying saucer eggs? I think that's what the eggs look like after I have "poached" them in the microwave. I have never managed to get the knack of poaching eggs in swirling boiling water, where the ethereal egg white wraps itself around the egg yolk in a neatly enticing package. I find that the microwave does the job just as well (with a little trial and error, depending on the strength of your microwave) and with much less mess.


my healthy breakfast
I have used large Portobello mushrooms (the gloriously named Agaricus Bisporus, which sounds like some kind of sci-fi alien emperor!) but any common mushroom will do, although the brown capped mushrooms have much more flavour.

While spinach would have been lovely with the tomatoes, mushrooms and egg, I used red chard - this is what I have growing in my garden, which makes it rather frugal too.
 

So give yourself a breakfast treat, it really is out of this world!

Serves 1
Skill level: Easy


ingredients:
olive oil
butter (optional)
2 x Portobello (large chestnut mushrooms) or field mushrooms
1 x small vine of cherry tomatoes
1 x large egg
100g red chard, stem chopped and leaves shredded
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh parsley, finely chopped
Worcestershire Sauce, Mushroom Ketchup or Henderson’s Relish, to serve
 

directions:
  1. Place the tomatoes and mushrooms (skin-side down) on a grill pan and drizzle over a little olive oil. (Alternatively just drizzle the tomatoes with oil and put a tiny pat of butter in the well of each mushroom cap). Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill under a hot grill for about 5 to 8 minutes. Both the tomatoes and mushrooms will start to soften and the mushrooms will be full of buttery mushroom juices.
  2. Heat a little of the olive oil over a medium heat and fry the chard stems for 2 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the shredded leaves and cover with a lid. They should cook in another 2 minutes. Season to taste.
  3. Poach the egg for about 3 to 4 minutes. (Alternatively cook in the microwave for about 1 minute. Break an egg into a ramekin. Pierce the membrane of both the yolk and white with the point of a sharp knife. Cover with a plate and heat on High for about 60 seconds in 20 second bursts. Remove the plate every 20 seconds too, as this will release the build-up of steam. The 20 second bursts help to prevent the egg from over-cooking and exploding!)
  4. Serve with a scattering of fresh parsley and a good shake of Worcestershire Sauce, etc. (Use Henderson's Relish for a totally vegetarian meal - Worcestershire Sauce contains anchovies.)
This is the first month that Anneli of Delicieux is hosting Credit Crunch Munch, the blog challenge baby of Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla from Fab Food 4 All. I am entering this as I think that it fits in with the ethos of budget eating - vegetables from my garden and eggs (a thoroughly underrated and cheap ingredient).
 

6 comments:

Camilla @FabFood4All said...

Ooh this dish looks utterly fab and I could eat it right now for lunch. Thank you for entering such a healthy and artistic looking dish into Credit Crunch Munch:-)

Anneli (Delicieux_fr)\ said...

Oh yes, now you're talking! That looks like my perfect start to the day on a plate! I love the chard on there too and those big juicy mushrooms. I have never cooked my eggs like the in the microwave but it sounds like a good idea! Perhaps I should experiment! (to be honest, my husband is the egg poacher in our house so I am a bit spoilt....but perhaps the microwave could be my solution!?) Thanks for entering this sublime breakfast into Credit Crunch Munch x

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Thanks Camilla - I do love trying to come up with frugal and tasty food, largely because it is all my bank balance will support these days :) I'm glad it looks pretty - I discovered a few years ago that if my food (particularly salads) looked pretty, I was more likely to eat it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you slaving over a hot microwave isn't at all my image of you. It wouldn't work for me: I'm the worst microwave cook ever, and honestly, slipping eggs into simmering water really does work, though getting them out again is sometimes a bit trickier. A meal to enjoy however you cook your eggs - maybe at lunch time in my case.

Petra said...

It looks amazing, just my kind of food. I love chard and reading this I realize I forgot to plant some! Eggs in the microwave sounds interesting!

heathcliffe said...

I have an ex who used to throw a glut of gin on vine fried tomatoes while they cooked... Not sure why but it kind of worked. Maybe that's a juniper thing?

You need to show me how to microwave eggs. So far all I've managed is rubbery mess and controlled explosions. :-)